Sunday, August 11, 2013

Summer Days....

Suddenly our lazy summer days (lazy is hardly a word in our house, haha) but easy going schedule is slowly coming to an end. With that, the end of my staying home full time. It's bittersweet: part of me is super excited to be going back to the classroom and bringing home a paycheck. Part of me can't believe my girls are at the age I always imagined I would be going back to work. We always said that when Mia was in Kindergarten I would think about going back to teaching...and here it is! It's exciting and sad all at once: Mia growing up, Annie starting school, me going back to work. I wish I could turn the clock back and have Annie just born and me just starting to stay home. Although days were not easy, I don't regret one minute of staying home. I am so thankful that I was here each and everyday to make their meals, see them achieve milestones, comfort them, referee, take them to all their activities, meet so many friends, enjoy play dates and adventures, show them culture and get them used to taking the train downtown and enjoying their city but also get them connected to their community that we live in with school and church and build that sense of security for them. I am so thankful that I have a career that allows me to be home in the summers and after school: there is no way I would ever return to corporate America no matter how much money I would make.

My hope is that his year will go smoothly. I am so thankful that Annie can attend preschool where I will be teaching. That was always my dream to teach where my kids would go to school. It certainly didn't happen the way that I thought it should happen (the school I am teaching at was a complete surprise, nothing I planned for) but I will embrace this next season and be thankful for the opportunity to teach at an amazing school, right downtown where I secretly miss working and having the chance to have my little Annie right with me. Mia will be just fine at our neighborhood school and we are excited to see her thrive and grow with new friends and new challenges. This fall she will play soccer again, continue with piano and choir and this winter both girls will continue swimming and ice skating.

Cheers to a new school year for everyone!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Such wonderful childhood memories the girls will always have, having their Mom with them during the small years when so much growth takes place. So happy for you Kim!